Welcome

Welcome to Looney Lisa's Lines! A blog about well.. .whatever I find interesting about LIFE! It's a great big world out there and sometimes we just need to see what is going on with other people in that great big world. So come along and see where the adventure's of LIFE take me! Can't wait to see it either!

Monday, July 2, 2012

Grilled Zucchini Italian Style

I really had no intention making my next blog entry about food again but after telling a friend about my attempt and trial at grilled zucchini she told me I should blog about it. So here I am blogging about a veggie!

My daughter had went to visit her college room mate over the weekend and when she returned they had sent a couple of nice zucchini's home with her. I love zucchini bread but she mentioned baking it or grilling it so off I set on the hunt on the internet to see what I could find about grilling it. Of course I turned to Pinterest! It seems to be my "go-to" place anymore.  I took a couple of idea's from several people and decided to just go for it.

I couldn't decide if I should peel the zucchini's or leave the skin on. After some thought I decided it would be best to peel them. I just used a potato peeler and skimmed them lightly. Next came how to cut them. .round slices? wedges? halves? I decided to try wedges this time. About the size of pickle spears. I sprayed a piece of foil with cooking spray before putting the wedge on.
Seasoning came next. I brushed each pieces with olive oil. Not heavily just enough so that the seasoning would stick. We use Bertolli Frangrante Extra Virgin and really like it There are so many olive oils on the market it's hard to know what to buy. We don't like a strong flavoring of it but something light.
I was going to use an italian blend seasoning but after rummaging thru the cabinets realized that I was out of it so I decided to go with straight oregano. No fancy brand or organic or anything just the stuff you buy at the grocery store.

I just sprinkled some on the wedges.

and then it was off to the grill. I wasn't sure how long it would take and honestly I forgot to even watch the clock.
I wasn't sure about leaving them on foil or putting them directly on the grates but decided to leave them on the foil in case they would stick to the grates. I turned them over once and let them brown a bit and then turned them back up.
Right before taking them off the grill I sprinkled fresh Parmesan cheese over them, closed the lid on the grill and let it melt a bit. The final results were good and after a family discussion over dinner we decided it wasn't a strong taste flavor and really needed something else. Hubby declared after eating several that they grew on you and were a mild flavor. My daughter suggested rolling in bread crumbs and baking with the cheese. I think I will fix it again on the grill but with more spices or a different blend. I will also try baking it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment